Sunday, September 20, 2009

Baked Potato Soup



I had potatoes that I really had to use up before they got bad, and $1 bunch of chives from the farmer's market... what's a girl to do? Potato soup of course!!

Now I hope I can remember everything I put in - I just used things in my kitchen that sounded like they would be good in a soup! And be warned - measurements are VERY approximate!!

Ingredients

4 potatos, peeled and cut into cubes
2 tbs. butter
salt
1 cup water
1 cup chicken stock
3 slices of bacon, cut into pieces
1/2 onion, diced
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. oregano
pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic seasoning (I used Garlic Garlic from Tastefully Simple)
1/3 cup of velveeta, cut into small pieces
chopped scallions
sour cream

Directions

Put potatoes into a large pot with water, stock and butter. Add some salt to season the potatoes (but not too much - the bacon will add a lot of salt later). Boil the potatoes over medium high heat.

While that cooks, saute the bacon until almost cripsy. Add onions and saute with the bacon a few minutes. Remove from heat.

Once the potatoes are soft, use a fork to mash up about 1/4 of them. Lower the heat to medium low. Add the bacon and onion mixture. Add cream, oregano, pepper to taste, garlic, and velveeta. Heat until velveeta melts. Lower heat to "low" and let the soup simmer a few minutes to let the flavors develop. Add some scallions to the soup.

Dish up, top with sour cream and more scallions for garnish. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Britt- A long time ago I had bookmarked your dessert pizza recipe and finally had a chance to make it this weekend. Ben LOVES dessert pizza, so I knew I had to make it for him sometime! And it turned out great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete