Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Unicorn Chicken Salad

Oh my word - I LOVE this Unicorn Chicken Salad! My Aunt Sue always makes it and I adore it!! Why "Unicorn" you ask? I believe its because the recipe comes from a restaurant in my hometown called The Unicorn, and they were famous for their chicken salad.

My pictures don't do it justice - mostly because I used a ton of mayo so it just looks white. I love mayo. :) This is a big batch but I used 3 chicken breasts, 1 small package nuts, 1 can water chestnuts and enough grapes to go throughout. And about 2-3 pieces of celery. And then I used 1/4 of the sauce to make myself lunches for a few days in a row. I've also used canned chicken which works well, but since I'm pregnant now I'm not supposed to eat that without cooking it first.

Anyway, this is soooo yummy. I mean who doesn't love chicken salad? But THIS is savory with the soy sauce, sweet with the grapes, and then has a nice, unexpected kick from the curry powder. YUM! I can hardly wait for lunch tomorrow! I'm going to enjoy mine on some toasted french bread.



Ingredients
2 quarts cooked chicken breast (I broiled mine to keep it moist)
2 6oz cans of sliced water chestnuts
2 lbs seedless grapes (I used red tonight)
2 cups chopped celery
2 1/2 cups toasted slivered almonds
3 cups mayo
1 T curry powder
2 T soy sauce
2 T lemon juice

Directions
Combine chicken, water chestnuts, grapes, celery and almonds. In another bowl, mix mayo, curry powder, soy sauce and lemon juice. Pour sauce over first mixture and mix well. Chill. Enjoy!

Its good over lettuce, on a sandwich, croissant or toasted bread, or even plain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment