Monday, March 23, 2009

Turkey Chipotle Chili and Pepperjack Cornbread

This is my new favorite chili recipe - it has such a delicious flavor! And a great part - its a Rachel Ray recipe - so it only takes 30 minutes!! I added some notes in italics where I deviated from the recipe, but I thought you might like to have the original. One more thing - I don't like beans, so I left those out of my chili - but if you want to put those in, add 1 can red kidney beans along with the stock and tomatoes. Try it with my spicy pepperjack cornbread... delicious!!

TURKEY CHIPOTLE CHILI
Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 package ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 rounded tablespoon chili powder
2 chipotles in adobo, chopped, or 1/2 cup hot chipotle salsa may be substituted (I used the chipotle salsa - about 2 tablespoons was plenty hot for me)
salt
1 cup mexican beer (I used white wine because I had it on hand)
2 cups chicken stock
1 can chopped stewed tomatoes (28 oz)

Directions
Heat pot over medium high heat. Add oil and turkey. Crumble meat as it cooks. Add the onions and garlic, chili powder and chipotle. Cook another couple minutes to soften onions and garlic. Add salt.



Add beer/wine and cook another minute, stirring to loosen any bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the stock and tomatoes, and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. (I sometimes let mine simmer up to 45 minutes while I make cornbread - but its also delicious after 10 minutes).




PEPPERJACK CORNBREAD
Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
2 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil or melted butter
1 block of pepperjack cheese, shredded

Directions
In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a 10 inch iron skillet. Place in a 400 degree oven until butter melts. Remove pan from oven, swirl butter to coat bottom and sides of pan.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine eggs, milk and oil/butter. (If using the melted butter, be sure its not hot and scrambles the eggs). Add the egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Add cheese.

Check out how much cheese I used - yummmm.



Pour batter into hot skillet or pan. Bake 15-20 minutes until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment