Thursday, April 30, 2009

Salsa All'Amatriciana

First off, thanks to Nick who left a really nice comment on my last post... and I did serve it hot so I'm going to call it chocolate souffle from now on... that sounds so much better! :) Seriously, I'm very new to this cooking thing so the props from a real chef definitely gives me some confidence! Thank you!

Oh, and Nick... Sam does help with the dishes.... or at least loading the dishwasher! ;)

Now onto this yummy yummy pasta sauce... I love this because it doesn't have to simmer a real long time like my basic red sauce recipe (I should get around to posting that). The bacon gives it all the flavor super quick. (I couldn't find pancetta in my grocery store - sad!) Recipe courtesy Giada de Laurentiis:



Directions
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 oz. pancetta or bacon, diced (I used bacon)
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Pinch dried red pepper flakes
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
In a large skillet, heat the oil over a medium flame. Add the bacon and saute until crispy, a couple minutes. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, and the salt and pepper.

Simmer, uncooked until sauce thickens slightly and flavors blend, about 5 minutes. Sir in the cheese. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment