Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rhubarb Crisp



Here's a delicious rhubarb crisp recipe courtesy of my mom. I was CRAVING rhubarb crisp and got some rhubarb at the farmers market and mom supplied this recipe! I was taking it to a friends' house at night and ran out of time for cooking, and mom had said that even 45 minutes is sometimes not sufficient to thicken the rhubarb mixture. So after mixing the rhubarb mixture I simmered it over medium heat until it was the thickness I wanted, then I put it in the pan, topped with the crumble mixture and baked it until it was bubbling and browned on top. Either way - YUM!!!

Ingredients
Topping

1 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter melted
Filling
4 cups rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup water

Combine flour, oats and sugar. Mix well. Stir in melted butter to make crumbs. Set aside. Combine rhubarb, sugar, flour, cinnamon and water, mix well. Pour rhubarb mixture into greased 9 x 9 pan. Sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake in a 325 oven for 45 min. until it is bubbly in the center. (You can substitute strawberries for 1/2 rhubarb.)

No comments:

Post a Comment