Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tres Leches Cake


Here is another recipe from my Food Network magazine! This cake looked so fancy I wanted to try it! Plus you can make it ahead which is awesome! I had a piece for breakfast - it was great! Even though there is a very small amount of rum, since it's uncooked in the recipe and I'm pregnant, I substituted vanilla extract. I also read that rum extract would work to keep the flavor without the alcohol content, but I didn't want to buy that for one recipe. It was delicious with the vanilla, but I can tell you rum would really be something special in this one! Mixed with the milk that bit of flavor just really popped, and the moisture in the cake was great! It was kind of fun making a cake from scratch (I NEVER bake from scratch!) and even though I may have overcooked it a tad (The Rachel Zoe project was on TV - can you blame me?) the milk still make for a perfectly moist cake! I hope you enjoy!!

Ingredients
vegetable oil, for greasing
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups whole milk, divided
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 ounce can evaporated milk
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon dark rum
whipped cream
ground cinnamon
mangos or strawberries

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan with vegetable oil and line the bottom with parchment paper.

Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer until pale and slightly thick, about 6 minutes. Slowly beat in the melted butter, then beat in the vanilla and 1/4 cup whole milk.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Sift the flour mixture over the egg mixture, then gently fold together with a rubber spatula to make a thick batter. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Run a knife along the edges to release the cake from the pan and flip onto a dish with sides.

Whisk the remaining 2 cups whole milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk and rum in a bowl. Pierce the warm cake all over with a fork, then pour the milk mixture evenly over the cake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.

To serve, cut a piece and top with whipped cream. Cover the cake and plate with sprinkled ground cinnamon. Add fruit on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment